Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What Our Guests Say About Us

I had one night in Manila so I decided to try the Makati area. It's the heart of the city, where the business section is, and where there is also some nightlife. I stayed in a new hostel Our Melting Pot. It had been a while since I had been in a hostel, and this one was great. It was brand new, I was one of their first guests; the owners were very friendly, and it had a great location. While the air in Manila is still polluted, and it is not the cleanest of cities, there is a certain charm to it, and I quite enjoyed it. There were all sorts of restaurants and bars on the same street as the hostel, which was just a loft apartment converted into a hostel. Short walk to shopping malls, restaurants, and nightlife. There is a seedy area in Makati as well, which was interesting to see, it's just a bar street with bar girls, and unlike Thailand, where the majority of the visitors are European, most here were American. Although there are also tons of Korean bars as well. I didn't stay out very late, as I was tired from the long day of travel, and exploring the city, so I didn't get to see the street in full action, but I am sure it was colorful!

I had a great dinner at a Biker Bar / Restaurant (across the hostel) that had a huge BBQ outside, and I think the owners were Canadian, as there were some Canadian Flags around and about. It was called The Handlebar I recommend it!

by Jason Willock ( http://willock.org/ )
11 July 2009


Clean, modern hostel, accented with impressive local interior. In a safe, quiet section of the village that is close to everything, especially the night life, fine dining restos and the Power Plant Mall. Right across Handle Bar-- a clear hit among tourists. Minus factor: I'm not comfy sharing rooms with strangers(guys) coz they ain't got exclusive dorm for women. Cheap place by Makati standard. Helpful but shy staff.

by vivienpalles1291, Canada, 12th July 2009

This hostel came as a surprise to me. I needed an affordable, decent bed & breakfast in Makati yet all I could find were 2 or 3-star hotels which cost US$30 per person. I stumbled upon a local promo about the hostel's opening week & risked being the guinea pig. The young owners are unbelievably helpful. I tell you: get this place if you wanna maximize your stay in Manila. And yes, breakfast is modest.

by rhalos1098, Australia | Male 41+ | 09th July 2009

1 comment:

  1. Who would have thought you would find a gem of a place in an area where eerybody knows accomodation is expensive. These young enterprenuers have stumbled upon a bright idea. I had no idea what a hostel would look like since I badly needed a place to stay.... The pictures you see give no justice to the ambiance this hostel has... warm and comfortable... you ought to try this place... you'd be surprised... you end up having the urge to come back... I SURE DID....!

    ReplyDelete